WROXHAM is a village and parish and station on the East Norfolk railway, and the junction station of the branch line to Aylsham and Cromer, 7 miles north-west from Norwich in the Southern division of the county, in Taverham hundred. and St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the Stalham road, occupying elevated ground on the south bank of the river Bure, which here forms one of the most considerable broads inthe county, covering upwards of 100 acres, well stocked with various kinds of fish: the river is here crossed by a stone bridge of one arch, leading to Hoveton St. John and railway station. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is built of flint, with stone dressings, probably of the fourteenth century, with clerestory added in the sixteenth century, but it replaced a much earlier church, of which a very handsome south doorway is left: it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, with lofty tower and belfry, standing on a knoll: in the churchyard is a large mausoleum erected by the late Mrs. Southwell to the memory of her husband, Sigismund Trafford Southwell esq. (Sheriff of Norwich in 1816), who died in 1827. The register dates from the year 2558, but about a hundred years ago the church was broken open, and the registers for some forty years abstracted. The living is a vicarage, with that of Salhouse annexed, joint yearly value £335 with residence, in the gift of W. H. Trafford esq. and held by the Rev. Thomas Francis Boddington M.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, who resides at Salhouse. Here are large malting establishments belonging to Mr. H. F. Green, of this parish. Wroxham Hall, a noble mansion, with large gardens and plantations, commandign a most extensive and picturesque view, is the seat of Qilliam Henry Trafford esq. D.L., J.P. who, as lord of the manor, possesses the right of fishery on the river Bure, from the old tower on Belaugh Marshes to Poll Ash Ditch, together with the royal grant of tree warren and free chase over all the lands of the manor. Adjoining Wroxham Broad is Wroxham House, the seat of Robert Blake-Humfrey esq. D.L., J.P. pleasantly situated in the midst of a well-wooded park, and commanding an extensive view of Wroxham Broad, of which he is the principal proprietor. Broad House is occupied by Mrs. Chamberlain, who also has a large portion of the Broad. The principal landowners are W. H. Trafford esq. who is lord of the manor, R. Blake-Humfrey esq, Mrs. Chamberlain and W. F. Gren esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The parish comprises 1,489 acres; rateable value, £2,244; and in 1881 the population was 374.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 with Hoveton St. John as a contributory parish with 2 members; R. Gregson, Upper King Street, Norwich, clerk to the Board
Board School, built in 1876, at a cost of £800, for 100 children, average attendance 75; Miss J. Craig, mistress
Railway Station, Francis Goyland Underhill, statn. master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 (GENUKI-NFK)]
Wroxham steam mill [Jonathan Neville]
Tale about Castle Hotel [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Inroduction to Broadland Churches [Simon Knott]
Wroxham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Wroxham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]