1891 Census Names Index
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harrod's 1868 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
Yaxham postmill, towermill and Yaxham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Yaxham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Yaxham Light Railway
More on Yaxham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Yaxham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 820-821

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]

YAXHAM, 2½ miles S.E. by E. of East Dereham, is a village on the Hingham road, its parish comprising 110 houses, 506 souls, and 1,570 acres of land, the principal owners of which are Jno. Marcon and Wm. Collison, Esqrs. ; but Wm. Hoy Esq., of Stoke Priory, Suffolk, is lord of the manor of Whinburgh on the part of Yaxham. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter, is a neat edifice, with a round tower, five bells, and an antique font in the florid gothic style. During the last three years the interior of the structure has been restored and beautified, an excellent organ erected, and several memorial windows of stained glass inserted by the farmers, and other persons interested in the parish. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W. C. Johnson, who has 25a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £575 in lieu of tithes. A National school was built in 1843, and enlarged in 1850. The Fuel allotment, awarded in 1820, contains 20a., of which 7a. were enclosed in 1847, and is let in half acre allotments, the rents of which are divided among the poor, with the amount received for the herbage of the remainder. The Town Lands comprise about 10a., of which 7a. are let for £21, which is applied in the repairs of the church; 1½a. appropriated to the use of the surveyor ; and ¾ of an acre let for £1 12s. 6d. is applied to the relief of the poor, who have also 10s. yearly from Hood's gift; 26s. from Mowting's charity ; 6s., called Burr's gift ; and 3s. 4d., left by one Hardy. The Dereham and Fakenham branch of the Norfolk Railway intersects the parish, and has a good station here.

Baxter Wm. beerseller
Bush Thos. vict. Bush
Chritoph Wm. corn miller
Howlett Mrs. Charlotte
Howlett Sarah, National school
Howlett Thos. station master
Hudson Wm. blacksmith
Johnson Rev. Wm. Cowper, M.A. rector
Milk Wm. vict. Woolpack
Nicholson Jas. vict. A [sic]
Spilman Chas. National school
Springall Robt. A. corn miller
Farmers.
Blyth Thos.
Bruce Wm.
Bush Wm.
Clark Jno.
Coe Hy.
Frost Jas.
Hubbard Geo.
Larwood Jno.
Mann Geo.
Meachen Jas.
Meachen Robt.
Read Robt.
Smith Christmas
Smith Jno.
Standly Wm.
Stimpson Jno. (& butcher)
Sussens Jph
Taylor Wm.
Vincent Lacey, Holland's Hall.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harrod's 1868 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
Yaxham postmill, towermill and Yaxham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Yaxham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Yaxham Light Railway
More on Yaxham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page