1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Yelverton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Yelverton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Yelverton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.603.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

YELVERTON is a village and parish 5 miles south-east from Norwich and 4 south-east from Trowse station, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred, Loddon & Clavering union, county court district of Norwich, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Virgin Mary is a handsome building of flint, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and poch, with a square tower containing 3 bells:   there are fragments of ancient stained windows. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, with that of Alpington annexed, joint yearly value 408 from commuted tithe rent-charge, with 16 acres of gleve and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1865 by the Rev. Charles Robert Ferguson-Davie M.A. of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and J.P. Norfolk. The fuel allotment of 13 acres produces 32 yearly, and Rant's charity of 21 acres, 30 yearly; these amounts are equally divided between Yelverton and Alpington. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor: the land is owned by various persons. The soil is sandy loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 539 acres; rateable value, 993; and the population in 1881 wsa 85.



Letters through
Norwich. Brooke is the nearest money order office & telegraph station

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; spelling corrections January 2010; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Yelverton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Yelverton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page